Last Saturday we had the first meeting of London/SE Birdshot friends and 18 people attended including some friends only recently diagnosed.
We spent a lot of time talking, exchanging experiences and debating ideas, and eating sandwiches and cake!
Some of the main points to come out of the meeting were:
- Carrot Walk – we need 30 volunteers to join the Fight for Sight Carrot Walk to help us raise funds for research.
- Vitamin D – some friends reporting positive results from taking Vitamin D.
- High Street Opticians – identified by many friends as being a week link in the chain of diagnosis which can delay treatment. We are looking to find ways to improve the education of opticians.
- Volunteers to help educate medical staff identify Birdshot – we are going to compile a register of Birdshot Friends who would be willing to volunteer to let medical staff examine their eyes to familiarise them with Birdshot as and when required. Please let us know if you would be willing.
- Volunteers to accompany patients to appointments at Moorfields – Appointments can be quite daunting on your own when you are first diagnosed with Birdshot. We’d like to build up a register of anyone willing to accompany newly diagnosed patients. We have had a few offers from people willing to do this already. Do please get in touch with us if you would like to help new diagnosed people in this way.
- Volunteers for Hypnotherapy sessions – Lorraine is doing a degree in Hypnotherapy and would like volunteers for case studies, others on her course would also be keen for volunteers across London & SE. Hypnotherapy is well known for helping stress and so could help all of us! Please e mail BUS if you would like to be involved and we will pass on your details to her.
The next meeting will be in June and we will let you know more details nearer the time and hope even more Birdshot friends will be able to attend.