BUS had a fantastic afternoon on the Phoenician Thames Sailing Barge last Saturday 3rd May, thanks to our hosts John and Janet Hall, and our fantastic speakers, Prof Glen Jeffery from the Institute of Ophthalmology and Chris Hogg a clinical scientist from Moorfields Eye Hospital. Over 30 birdshotters and their friends met socially in the beautiful informal setting. Continue reading
Following on from the success of last year’s birdshot events, in 2014 BUS has decided to hold:
- two social events which will also incorporate talks about the research that BUS is helping to fund
- a fundraising clay pigeon shoot, and
- we will also be entering a team of walkers for the Fight for Sight Carrots Nightwalk
London social meetings and talks
The London social meetings and talks co-incide with bank holiday weekends. We hope this will make it easier to attend if you don’t live in the south east. The socials will provide an opportunity to socialise with other birdshotters and a chance to learn more about our birdshot uveitis research. The meetings will be held in the delightful environment of a historic Thames barge located in St Katherine’s Dock. As before, a buffet lunch and drink will be provided.
- Saturday 3rd May 2014 London social meeting with Professor Glen Jeffery from UCL and the Institute of Ophthalmology talking about the red light therapy research being carried out at Moorfields Eye Hospital.
- Saturday 23rd August 2014 with Dr Graham Wallace from Birmingham University talking about the development of the birdshot bio-resource centre and national birdshot database.
- 2nd birdshot shoot and auction on Wednesday 21st May 2014. The venue (Royal Berkshire Shooting Club) and cost of tickets will be identical to last year. If you are interested in taking part as an individual or entering as a team, (4 guns), please register your interest now, because places are already going fast.
- Carrot’s Night Walk – BUS will again be entering a team of walkers for the Fight for Sight Carrots Night walk. The date and details have yet to be confirmed, but it will be on a Friday night in September.
If you are interested in coming along to the socials/talks, or taking part in the fundraising events please do get in touch and make a note in your diaries. Email: info at birdshot.org.uk